Wednesday, March 13, 2013

If you have a garden...

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. ~ Cicero
I love to read!!  I read a fabulous book this past week for my neighborhood book club.  Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern.  It was captivating from the first page.  I thought it was very well written.  I can't wait to discuss next week at book club.
Not much new happened in my garden this week.  I replanted some radish seeds (French breakfast radishes) and the little happy critter enjoyed some radish micro greens, again... 
I have been crafty this week.  And, I have enjoyed cooking - I love to cook and almost cook every day.  Last night, I made one of our favorite dishes - Shrimp Gnocchi with snow peas.  I used freshly picked snow peas and little green spring onions from the garden.

Shrimp Gnocchi
1 pound medium shrimp - peeled and deveined
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 - 2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 clove garlic minced
6 green onions, chopped (including green part)
1-2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
1 - 16oz. package dried potato gnocchi (in pasta section at store)
2 cups fresh snow peas (can use frozen peas if snow peas aren't available)
salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
 
Place shrimp, oil, pepper flakes, garlic, onions, and rosemary in a container to marinate for 2 hours (or so), but last night they only marinated for about 30 minutes and it was still tasty.
Bring salted water to a boil and boil gnocchi according to package directions.  Save about 1 cup of pasta liquid to make a little sauce at the end.
Heat a skillet, and then pour shrimp marinade into hot skillet.  Saute until shrimp turns pink.  Add snow peas and saute for 2 minutes.  Add boiled gnocchi straight from the boiling water (just dip with a slotted spoon - no liquid at this point).  Toss for about 1 minute, then add boiling liquit 1/4 cup at a time to make a slight sauce.  Then serve!  It is delicious!!
 
I have also been crafty yesterday and today!  My daughter-in-law asked me if I would make some little party favors for our 9 year-old grand daughter's birthday party.  She is having a horse themed party and I made little horse show ribbons.  I think they are precious and such a sweet idea for a birthday party theme.  I am honored that I was ask to contribute :)
 
 
I hope that your day is is filled with a happiness, family, a little gardening, cooking, reading, or crafting :)  ~ Joeby

2 comments:

  1. The ribbons look so cute!!!!!!!! She will be thrilled!!! :)
    And the recipe sounds amazing. I'm trying to like gnocchi, the texture is what I don't care for, but I will have to try this out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, your dish looks so good! I want to try it. Cute decorations too!

    ReplyDelete