Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Tuesday

Spring is coming quickly in the North Houston area.  I can't believe how beautiful it is outside today!!  It is 61 degrees outside right now, and I'm loving it.  I worked in the garden for a few hours yesterday planting some Christmas lima beans, eggplant, and a few herbs.  I also hated to do it, but my space is limited, so I pulled out the Swiss chard.  We aren't that fond of it, but it is so beautiful...  I have eaten it many, many times chopped up into scrambled eggs.  So pretty, and it mades me sad, but I planted some eggplant there, and we LOVE eggplant.  When you have a tiny garden, you make choices, and the eggplant wins :)
 
 
I sauted some red bell pepper, little green onions (from the garden) in a tad of butter, added a couple of slices of deli ham, chopped.  Tossed in the chopped Swiss chard, let it wilt, then added two eggs!  It was a great lunch on Monday.
 
 
We had HUNDREDS of lemons on our Meyer lemon tree this past year. Like 500...  We were giving them to everyone!  A couple of weeks ago, we squeezed a bunch to put the juice in the freezer. 
I made a "green" cleaner from the peelings!  I packed a quart glass with the lemon peel, then added white vinegar to the top.  Put the lid on and wait for 2 weeks, while the magic occurs.  Just leave the jar on the counter, it does not need refrigerated. Then strain and use half strength (1/2 water, 1/2 vinegar).  Put in a recycled spray bottle and you are ready to go!!  The lemon makes the cleaner smell so fresh and clean. I am planning to experiment with putting in a drop or two of essential oils to see how it does (like Tea Tree oil...).
 

 
I hope everyone has a fabulous day! ~ Joeby

1 comment:

  1. Mmm, I love seeing all the photos of your vegetables! And what a neat idea to make a green cleaner out of all your lemons!

    ReplyDelete