Monday, December 9, 2013

It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas
Ev'rywhere you go;
Take a look in the five-and-ten, glistening once again
With candy canes and silver lanes aglow.
 
I can't believe that it is so close to Christmas!
I am VERY behind...
We had a death in our family over Thanksgiving, my sweet father, and I am having a hard time getting into the spirit of Christmas...
My husband, daughter, and I started our decorating this past Saturday.  I am determined to be filled with the Christmas Spirit soon...
 

Winter Gardening

 My garden is coming along.  It has been really cold (for the North Houston area) this past week, and several of my more tender vegetables have died (green beans, eggplant, and tomatoes).
 
The cold-hearty Swiss chard is looking fabulous!  The colors are fantastic, and adds happiness to my garden.
 
Big pot of lettuce!  I love these little greens.  I snip off a salad with sissors, and the lettuce regrows!!  It is fabulous!  Mixed greens.
 
I brought in some lettuce (the larger leaves are romaine) to have for dinner the other night.
The lemon tree only had 2 lemons on it this year....It had over 500 last year!!! 
 

Raw Brussel Sprout Salad

 
Shaved raw brussel sprouts (very thinly sliced - I used a mandoline).
 
I got this recipe from my good friend, Paula.  She had it at a resturant in Houston (and even took me there :), and then found the recipe.  I pretty much keep this in my refrigerator to nibble on at all times...
 Finished salad - ready to eat!!!
 
Raw Brussel Sprout Salad
1 pound of shaved brussel sprouts
1/2 - 1 cup of toasted walnuts (chopped finely)
1/4-1/2 cup grated parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese
2-3 Tablespoons olive oil
1 lemon - juiced (can add a touch of grated zest, too)
salt and pepper to taste
Mix together and refrigerate an hour before eating.
(I used more nuts and cheese than the original recipe - and those amounts are listed above - feel free to play to suit you tastes).
 

Decorating for Christmas

 
It is beginning to look like Christmas around here!!!  I love all of our decorations, and really love to add to the collection each year.
 
Darling Texas Nativity made by a friend - love it!!!
My trees!  I collect bottle brush trees, and love to mix and match with other trees. 
Pretty bird ornament from my wildlife tree that I have in the dining room.
Sweet hand made bird house ornament that we got in Juneau, Alaska in September.
I collect nativities.  (After blogging, I realize that I collect many things...hmmm). 
This little nativity is only about 2 1/2 inches tall :)
Beautiful snowflake ornament (from Pottery Barn - a few years ago).
 
I am sitting here watching Monday Night Football with my husband, but I have watched several Christmas shows today.  I love Christmas shows, and have a nice collection of Christmas movies.  I think my favorite is "The Homecoming" the first Walton's movie that the series originated from.  Poor Gramps (my husband's father - who lives with us), has had to watch it like 3 times in the last couple of weeks :)
Where ever you are, what ever your circumstances, I hope that you are beginning to get in the Christmas Spirt like me.  I know the sweetness and goodness of the Christmas Spirit can bring us happiness regardless of your personal beliefs, troubles or griefs.  May goodness touch your lives this day!
~ Joeby
 

2 comments:

  1. I love your little bird ornament! I also collect nativities! No wonder we are friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I think all your decorating will certainly help your house get into the Christmas spirit! :) I hope it helps you feel more Christmasy too. All your little Christmas trees are so pretty! We love you and are thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete