Sunday, December 22, 2013

Winter Time

Short Days
Warm Attires
Crackling Fires
Low Lights
Early Nights
Love & Care
Crisp Air
Snowy Hopes
Winter Time
 
It is hard to believe that it is only 3 days until Christmas!!  I love the days leading up until Christmas.  We have several traditions.  A couple of my favorites are riding around to look at Christmas lights in our pajamas, and eating popcorn in the car.  I also love making home made candy to give to friends.  I have been busy making candy in the last couple of days.

Fantastic Fudge, Cookies & Cream Fudge,
and Pecan Pie Balls
The Pecan Pie Balls are a new addition to the candy making day (I found the recipe on Pinterest, and it is fabulous).  I have been making the Fantastic Fudge since I was a teenager!! 

Fantastic Fudge

4 cups sugar
1 (13 oz) can evaporated milk
1 cup butter
2 cups marshmallow cream
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
 
Butter sides of a heavy 3-quart saucepan.  Add sugar, milk, and butter.  Cook over medium heat to a soft ball (236º on a candy thermometer) stirring constantly.  Remove from heat; add chocolate chips, marshmallow cream vanilla and nuts.  Beat until chocolate melts.  Pour into a buttered 13 x 9 inch pan.  Score while warm.  Cut when cool and firm.
 

Savory French Toast

I was at the doctor a couple of weeks ago and ran across a recipe in the magazine in the waiting room.  I was there a good while, had little to no cell phone reception, so I looked at a germy magazine while waiting.  I usually do not touch the magazines, because, I mean, you are in a doctor's office, so people are sick there....  But, I looked.  And, found this great looking recipe.  I unfortunately do not remember which magazine it came from.  I also had to "invent" the recipe.  I should have taken a picture of the recipe with my phone, but didn't do that either.  But, this recipe came out great, so all is well :)

I made this for dinner a couple of Sunday's ago.  My husband and daughter LOVED it, and so did I.  I made extra so my husband could have it for breakfast or lunch at work the next day.  We love having "breakfast" for dinner at our house.  We do this most Sundays, and really enjoy looking for new recipes to try.  This one is a keeper. 
I am thinking about making this recipe and a sweet French toast, as well, for Christmas morning.  We will see.  I will have to take a survey from my family and see what happens. 
 
Joeby's Savory French Toast
Serves 4
8 Slices of bacon (or more if you're like me and nibble while cooking...)
1/2 onion chopped
10 cups fresh baby spinach
salt and pepper to taste
3-4 eggs (3 if large, 4 if medium)
1 cup milk (or 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup cream)
1/2 cup freshly grated nice-quality parmesan cheese (go ahead and get the good stuff)
4 (1-inch) slices of challah bread or sweet rolls (such as Hawaiian rolls)
1 Tablespoon butter
 
Fry bacon in nonstick skillet unil nice and brown.  Remove from skillet, and pour off all but 1-2 tablespoons bacon grease.  Add onions and saute until nice and soft and a little browned.  Add spinach to the skillet, add 1 tablespoon water.  Cook spinach with onions until the spinach wilts.  Salt and pepper to taste. (you may not need salt since you are using bacon grease).  Remove spinach from skillet and keep warm alongside the bacon (I usually put my items to keep warm in the microwave).
Whisk eggs and milk (cream) then add parmesan and mix.  Pour milk mixture over bread slices and soak about 1 minute on each side.  (If there is extra milk mixture when you are done, go ahead and soak extra bread for a quick lunch or breakfast the next day).
Melt 1 tablespoon butter in skillet. Fry the bread until golden on each side. 
To plate - put one slice of bread on each plate and top with 1/4 of the spinach-onion saute, and 2 slices of bacon!  It is very...very good!!!

Christmas Around the House

 I usually force paperwhites each year.  I love the smell and the tradition of doing something
from year to year. 
Lovely red amarillis this year!!
 
I hope that the days leading up to Christmas have been pleasant for you.  My husband, daughter and I attended the Houston Symphony Handel's Messiah performance last evening.  It was lovely.  We ate at a fabulous Italian restaurant - Nino's - on W. Dallas in Houston before the performance last night. Highly recommend it :)
I hope you have a great evening!
~ Joeby

No comments:

Post a Comment