Friday, March 28, 2014

Spring in the Garden

The Glory of Gardening
hands in the dirt,
head in the sun,
heart with nature.
To nuture a garden
is to feed not just the body,
but the soul.  ~ Austin
 

Spring Has Sprung

Everything is covered with pollen in the North Houston area!
We really need a rain to wash all the pollen away.  Hopefully, we will get a good one soon.  We got sprinkles yesterday.  My garden loves any and all rain.
 Look how pretty it is getting! I am so excited.
Seems last Spring was forever ago :)
Potatoes on the left, Savoy Cabbage in the middle, and onions on the right.  With a tomato snuck in the front where I had pulled the green onions already.  When you only have a little space, you have to plant where you can!
 Isn't this "potatoes" metal stake fabulous??  One of my dear friends gave me several different ones for my birthday last year. 
I will post pictures of others as I use them.
The whole garden is coming along nicely.
 
I love the promise of planting and then reaping the fruits of my labors.  I was raised on a farm in Arkansas.  You have to be faithful when you farm.  We always had a big garden, too.  My mother would plant and hope.  Sometimes half would be killed off due to the crop duster airplanes leaking chemicals on our garden as they sprayed the crops near our house.  She always had the faith to plant again the next year.  I am so proud to have been raised on a farm.  I wouldn't trade that childhood for anything!
I hope you have the time to plant a little something this spring. 
I promise it will make you happy to plant and to tend your little crop.
Until next time!
~ Joeby
 


1 comment:

  1. Hooray for gardens! I just planted two tomato plants in pots over the weekend...now, they're not looking so good. I'm afraid I don't have much of a green thumb like you but like you said, I guess we just plant and hope. Someday, I'd like to have a much bigger garden! But right now, we're just doing a few container plants as our lives are crazy. Can't wait to see all your garden produces.

    ReplyDelete