Thursday, May 1, 2014

May Day - Round Top, Texas - A Salad A Day

April Showers 
Bring May Flowers


Well, we didn't get many showers here in the North Houston area during the month of April, but luckily, just enough showers to have a few May flowers!  We really need a rain here.

Round Top, Texas


My sweetie and I went to Round Top, Texas a few weeks ago for the fun antique shopping and Wildflower looking. One of the big deals around these parts is to take pictures of your children (and pets) in the Bluebonnets. The Bluebonnets are beyond beautiful and so are the orange
Indian Paintbrush.  Since I didn't have any children or pets handy, I just took pictures of the lovely flowers (on the side of the road - trying not to get hit by the people driving by at 80mph).

Zapp Hall in Warrenton, TX - just down the road from Round Top.  I love the way this building was decorated.
Treasures everywhere!!!  I need to gather up what I purchased and take some pics....
Really crowded the Friday that we attended.  The weather was perfect!
1/2 mile down the road was a pasture full of Longhorn cattle and Bluebonnets :)
Round Top - Population 90
(except for Antique week, and then it is 1000x that!!)
I collect turkies and LOVED these turkey platters!!  The one I wanted was $850!!!  Needless to say, I only got this picture. 
 

A Salad A Day for 30 Days


I decided to challenge myself with making a salad a day for 30 days!!  I needed a little boost to get back into blogging and out of my winter cooking rut.  I love salads and love cooking, so the combination should be lots of fun!!   I plan on looking on Pinterest (I'm totally addicted to Pinterest…), and in my cookbook collection (I'm also addicted to cookbooks…) for inspiration.  I hope to create a few from scratch salad recipes, too.

Shrimp Salad

I love shrimp :)  I made this yummy shrimp salad a couple of days ago.  So good and easy to make.
Shrimp ready for roasting.
Shrimp salad on a bed of spinach, and an icy cold Perrier on the patio - perfect for a spring day :)
It was fantastic!
 
Shrimp Salad
2 pounds medium sized shrimp
1 Tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 chopped bell pepper (yellow, orange, red, or green - or a combo)
3 green onions
1 stalk celery
1/2 cup mayonaise
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1 teaspoon orange zest
1 teaspoon fresh herbs minced finely (tarragon - what I used, or dill, or basil)
1 teaspoon vinegar (white wine or apple cider is what I have used)
 
Peel and devein shrimp.  Toss shrimp with olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste.  Spread in a single layer on a cookie sheet and bake at 425 degrees in a preheated oven for 8 minutes.  Turn and shake pan around to move shrimp or turn them over, and bake an additional 2 - 4 minutes (depending on how big your shrimp are - smaller 2 minutes, larger 4 minutes).  You do not want to over cook shrimp - they are rubbery (and way to expensive to mess them up).
Remove from oven and let cool.  Add veggies to shrimp after it has reached room temp.
Mix remaining ingredients in a small bowl and then add to shrimp to toss and lightly coat.
 

I am excited to make a salad a day for 30 days!!  I hope you drop by from time to time and try out a recipe of two.
~ Joeby

2 comments:

  1. The bluebonnets are so beautiful! And those turkey plates were gorgeous - too bad the one you wanted was so expensive. It would've gone perfectly with your collection! I'm excited for your salad challenge! Salads are such a fun summer food and I can't wait to see what you come up with. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found this recipe for Strawberry Spinach Salad and I thought it looked great: http://new.pamperedchef.com/pws/susanclawson/recipe/Main+Dishes/Strawberry+Spinach+Salad/98305

    ReplyDelete