Thursday, May 22, 2014

Day 22 - Thursday

Busy, Busy Day

 
I am usually busy on Thursdays, and today was no exception :)
I love busy days!
I wanted to make myself a salad for lunch, and decided to make a Refrigerator Taco Salad.
 

Refrigerator Taco Salad

I decided to make a Taco Salad only using things that I already had on hand and in the refrigerator.  Nothing new could be cooked.
I made Zatarain's Dirty Rice the other day to have something in the refrigerator to heat up and eat quickly.  That was the "taco" meat for my salad.  I put a can of black beans in the picture, but I had a half cup in the fridge. Everything else was either already opened or easy to "fix" (such as slicing the cherry tomatoes in half and cutting an avocado into chunks).
This is my yummy lunch Refrigerator Taco Salad.  It was so easy to throw together before I went to volunteer today.  The dressing I used is from the post on May 16 - Yummy Cilantro Dressing.  The recipe is (here).  It was still really good and I made it a week ago :)  It is so good, that you could eat a large spoon of the dressing, by itself... (not that I did that or anything...).
 
Refrigerator Taco Salad
Plate full of lettuce - I used iceberg today
1/2 cup of the meat of your choice - I used left over Zatarain's dirty rice - it was delicious!!  I think the addition of the rice was really good.  I heated it in the microwave so it was put on the salad hot.
1/2 cup black beans
1/2 avocado chopped
1/2 cup chopped cherry tomatoes
1 Tablespoon sour cream
Handful (or amount of your choice) of cheddar cheese
Tortilla crunchies - or tortilla chips crumbled on top for crunch
Dressing drizzled on top
Combine all ingredients on a plate and enjoy!!


Goodness from my Garden!

 
I have been gathering lots of yummy veggies from my garden this past week.  New Potatoes and carrots are great any time, but especially from your own garden!!
I cooked these carrots and potatoes yesterday - delicious!
The potatoes are - Grown-up Tater Tots - I found the recipe on Pinterest and changed it a bit :)
Wash new potatoes and dry them off.
Bake on a parchment lined cookie sheet for 20 minutes or until just fork tender at 350 degrees.
Remove from oven and let rest 5 minutes.  Turn oven up to 450 degrees.
Take a glass or something flat on bottom and gently smash potatoes until they are squished to about 1/2- 3/4 inch thick.  Drizzle olive oil on top and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Bake at 450 for 15 minutes or until slightly browned.  I had some fresh chives from my garden and sprinkled some sliced chives on top for color.  Wicked delicious!!  I ate like 8 of these!! 
The carrots are so sweet when fresh from your own garden.  I washed them, peeled them and cut into pieces.  Dotted small amount of butter, salt and pepper over top and baked them while cooking the potatoes.  They cooked about 30 minutes total in a little pyrex dish covered.  So sweet and good.
The potatoes and carrots were delicious together!
 
Hope your Thursday has been a good one!
Until tomorrow,
~ Joeby


No comments:

Post a Comment