Friday, May 2, 2014

Salad-A-Day For 30 Days - Day 2

Today is a beautiful day in the North Houston area. Just lovely!! 
I am going to spend as much time outside on my patio and in my garden as possible, because these lovely cool days won't last much longer.

Friday In The Garden With Joeby


I can't believe how quickly so many of the plants are growing - especially since we haven't been getting any rain to speak of.  If you want to make youself feel accomplished :)  Go, plant something today!!  A pot of herbs is very easy and can grow in a window of an apartment - nothing better than fresh basil and good summer tomatoes.

Cucumber in the white trellis area.
Herbs!!  Isn't the basil fabulous?  I bougt it from Trader Joe's and planted it in the garden.  It is very happy there :)
 Baby tomatoes
 Baby yellow squash
 I love my garden!!  My husband was such a sweetheart to make the raised beds for me.  I am so lucky to have the time and the place to get my hands dirty in the soil!!
 

Salad - Day 2

 
Quinoa, Black Bean, & Mango Salad
Colorful ingredients!!
Chopping away!!  The cilantro and the green onions are from my garden :)
 Finished Salad - ready to chill and enjoy for days - lasts really well!!
I cut some orange cherry tomatoes in half and have 1/4 of an avacado to go with my fabulous lunch!
Out on the patio - enjoying this beautiful weather - a little sparkling water and a funny romance novel and I am set :)
 
 
Quinoa, Black Bean, & Mango Salad
2 cups cooked quinoa (red or white is what I have used, and I get the kind that has already been washed and cooks in 15 minutes) - allow to cool to room temp
1 (14oz) can black beans rinsed and drained
1 medium mango cut in small dice (I have to do 2 to allow for snacking...)
1 red bell pepper, diced (or yellow, or orange - or mixture them)
6 green onions, chopped
1 hand full of cilantro chopped (about 1/2 bunch from grocery store)
4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
salt and pepper to taste
Put quinoa, and veggies in a bowl.
Mix dressing well and then add to quinoa bowl and toss.
Refrigerate until cold for best taste.
I have also used other veggies in this - like other kinds of beans (chickpeas, or white kidney beans), and cut some fresh corn from the cob (or some frozen that has been cooked until not frozen) - both are really delicious!!
 

Happy Birthday Lime Pound Cake

 Today is my good friend Paula's birthday!!  She was going out of town to do a little celebrating, but I made her a Lime Pound cake before she left.  It is the best pound cake ever!!  I will have to see about sharing that recipe soon.  It makes the BEST cake for strawberry shortcake.  Strawberries and lime are a match made in heaven :)
 Hot cake just removed from the pan.
 Cake with a glaze of sugar and lime juice
Letting the cake cool so I can run it to Paula's house :)
Happy Birthday Paula!!  I hope your day is fabulous!
 
I hope you are enjoying your day where ever you are today! 
Until tomorrow
~ Joeby


2 comments:

  1. Looks delicious and your garden is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I love cilantro but hate cutting it up. It takes me so long to pull the leaves off and then chop it. lol

    ReplyDelete