Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Salad-a-Day #6 - Southwest Salad

It's Spring - You should have dirt on your hands


Any plant that needs cooler weather has been planted in my garden since Valentine's Day (good luck planting day here in the North Houston area).  We did have a little freezing rain (rare) after that and I had a few tomatoes die.  But, we need to start early here so the blossoms do not fall off the tomato plants with our warm nights.  I have lots of little tomatoes - so fingers crossed for a good crop!
 I love this Garden sign that we got in Round Top, Texas a few weeks back.  My husband hung it in the garden on Saturday.
 Today in the garden :)
Baby cucumbers!!!  I am hankering to make some pickles and sweet pickle relish.

Salad-a-Day #6

Southwest Salad with Cilantro- Jalapeño Dressing

I was trying to think of a good salad for today.  I remembered a Southern Living recipe from years ago that was tasty and was Mexican since I forgot Cinco De Mayo yesterday...  I hunted and hunted in my many, many cookbooks, and found it!!  It is really good.
 Ingredients gathered together.
Bacon - is delicious...  It smelled so good cooking!!  I admit that I cooked the whole package and may have nibbled on a few slices while chopping veggies.  I also put a few more slices in the salad than the recipe called for...
Eat the rainbow!
 I made these pickled jalapeños last year with an abundance of peppers in my garden - they are sweet and spicy!  You can buy sweet pickled jalapeños near the pickles at your grocery store.
Finished dressing - it makes more than you need in the recipe.
Ready to eat!!
Tasty - with a little kick :)


Southwest Salad with Cilantro-Jalapeño Dressing
1 can black beans - drained and rinsed
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
2 Tablespoons vinegar (white or rice)
1/2 cup chopped onion (purple or green onions)
1/2 head of chopped iceberg lettuce, about 3-4 cups - or you could use mixed greens (I think that is actually better, but only used iceberg today)
2 nice sized tomaotes chopped
1 can corn, drained and rinsed (or 1 1/2 cup frozen corn cooked until room temp - this is what I did)
1 small bell pepper chopped - any color
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 avocado, peeled and chopped
6 (or more) slices bacon, cooked & chopped
Cilantro-Jalapeño Dressing (recipe follows)
Combine beans, veg oil and vinegar. Cover and marinate in refrigerator for an hour or so (or while you chop and prepare other items).  Drain beans and discard marinade.  Add onions and toss.  Place lettuce in large bowl - sprinkle beans and onions over lettuce.  Place tomatoes on next, the corn, and then bell pepper.  Drizzle a little dressing over at this point - not too much.  Then sprinkle cheese over top.  Cover and chill.  The salad looks pretty and layered if you put it in a glass bowl.
To serve, toss with avocado and bacon and additional dressing to taste.
Cilantro-Jalapeño Dressing
1/2 cup white vinegar
4 tablespoons sweet pickled jalapeños
1 tsp. salt
2/3 cup olive oil
1/2 cup packed cilantro
Put vinegar, jalapeños, and salt in blender - blend until smooth.  With blender running on high, drizzle in olive oil.  Scrape down sides.  After blended well, add cilantro, and blend until cilantro is in tiny specks. Cover and chill.
I hope you like the Southwest Salad as much as we do!  This is all my husband and I had for dinner today because we had a large lunch, but think it would be delicious with a little grilled chicken, too!
Until tomorrow,
~ Joeby

No comments:

Post a Comment