Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Salads, Fabulous Weather, Ironman Volunteering

Fab Weather - Volunteer

It is a fabulous day in the North Houston area today.  I love crispy cool weather, especially when it is unexpected.  Well, it is very unexpected for mid-May in Houston.  It is usually in the 90's, but today it was in the 70's.  I am so happy because I volunteered outside at Registration for Ironman Texas in The Woodlands today.  It was SO nice.  I love volunteering, and today was one of my favorite volunteering days. 
If you ever have the opportunity to attend an Ironman, please do so.  I have been to Ironman Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, Ironman Lake Placid, New York, and Ironman Texas.  All are fabulous!  Nothing is more inspiring than cheering on the athletes as it approaches the midnight cutoff.  Those individuals have been working out since 7am - lmost 17 hours for many of them.  The first one I attended was Coeur d'Alene in 2008 when my brother competed.  I LOVED watching the athletes cross the finish line.  It was very emotional for me.  I remember one man in particular who was pretty old (in his 70's).  He had competed in every Ironman Coeur d'Alene.  He started training as a way to keep up with his grandchildren! 
How cool is that?
And NOTHING can compare to the mass swim start. 
This is the mass swim start for Lake Placid in 2010.  My daughter is one of the heads out there.  I was completely freaked!! 
She did such a fabulous job.
 

Salad-a-Day #14

Green Bean and New Potato Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette

 
I have green beans and new potatoes right now growing like crazy in my garden.  It is a good problem to have :)
I harvested these red new potatoes a couple of days ago.  The sweet precious squirrels that have taken up residence in our back yard have been going to the garden and harvesting veggies for themselves.  I noticed several dug-up potatoes with bites out of them...  So, if we want to enjoy any potatoes, I needed to get busy digging potatoes to beat the squirrels.
Fresh from the garden!!
Fresh green beans, a couple of yellow squash, and new red potatoes!
Green Bean and New Potato Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette
Delicious!!
 
Green Bean and New Potato Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette
1 1/2 pounds new potatoes (red or white)
3/4 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
1 small purple onion, chopped finely
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
Balsamic Vinaigrette
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons dijon mustard
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
dash worcestershire sauce
1 garlic clove, minced
Steam potatoes, covered, for 20 minutes or until tender (cut potatoes in half after they have rested for about 5 minutes).  Place in a large serving bowl. Steam green beans, covered, for 10 minutes or until crisp tender.  Add green beans, onions and basil to potatoes in serving bowl.  Add balsamic vinaigrette to potato mixture and toss gently.  Serve immediately.  (Also good to serve cold).
For vinaigrette - combine all 8 ingredients and whisk to blend really well. 
Toss potatoes with a few tablespoons of vinaigrette to absorb more flavor.  I also sprinkle a little salt over to give the potatoes a little more flavor since I like my potatoes slightly salty :)
 
I hope that everyone is having a fabulous Wednesday!
Until tomorrow,
~ Joeby

 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment