Monday, May 5, 2014

Salad-a-Day #5

Cinco de Mayo

 
Happy Cinco De Mayo!! 
I should have made a Mexican salad today in honor of Cinco de Mayo...but I wasn't that clever.  Maybe I will tomorrow :)
 

Pasta Salad

I love pasta salad, but hate how fattening it is!!  I looked through a bunch of cookbooks and found lots of recipes for pasta salad with mayonaise.  I wanted to lighten it up so tried making this pasta salad with low-fat plain yogurt in place of the mayonaise!  I can't say it is "quite" as good as the full-fat variety, but it is pretty darn good, if I do say so myself :)

I added lots of veggies to make it a little heathlier
A little pasta on the patio :)
Lighter Pasta Salad
1/2 pound cooked tri-colored pasta - drained and rinsed
5 tablespoons light Italian dressing
1/2-3/4 cup non-fat plain yogurt
1/4 teaspoon dried dill weed
1/2 teaspoon dried mixed herbs (Italian or French)
1 cup cherry tomatoes cut in half
1 cup shredded cabbage
1/2 cup finely diced red onion (or you could use green onions)
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup finely chopped carrots
Toss just-cooked pasta with 2 tablespoons Italian dressing - and set aside to cool to room temperature.
Mix yogurt, and herbs together in small bowl.  Add veggies to pasta and then top with dressing - toss to coat.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Chill a few hours until ready to serve.
 

Another picture of the flowers my sweet husband got for me on Saturday.  I can't believe how well the pictures turned out.  I use a Cannon Rebel XTi camera that I have had for years and years.  I used a 60mm Macro lens for this picture (and the one from yesterday).  I LOVE my Macro lens!!!  Best lens that I have :)
 
Until tomorrow,
~ Joeby


No comments:

Post a Comment