Saturday, May 3, 2014

Salad-a-Day # 3

Fruit Salad

 
When I was growing up on our farm in Arkansas, my mom always made a fruit salad for Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Fruit salad and coconut cake, that she also always made, are two of my favorite food memories from the holidays - and two of my favorite things to this day!  Way back then, it wasn't as easy to get a large variety of fruit - especially out of season.  Now, you can get almost any kind of fruit any time of the year, and from all over the world.
I remember helping cut up apples, and oranges and cutting grapes in half and removing the seeds.  I seldom even see grapes with seeds in them any more!  I also remember adding canned peaches, pears and pineapple to our holiday salads.  We all loved those large fruit salads!!  Having a slice of coconut cake with a side of fruit salad even right now (at 10pm at night) sounds fabulous!
 
I have fruit for breakfast almost every single day. I often think of those fruit salads and it makes me feel close to my Mother who passed away 2 1/2 years ago. I am so lucky that I have little reminders of her during the every-day happenings of my life.
 
 Breakfast on the patio - a few days ago.  It gets so hot here during the summer and is often in the 80's when I wake up with 99% humidity.  So, I try to take advantage of nice days and eat outside :)
Mango and kiwi.  I LOVE mangos and could eat them every single day. And, often, I do!!  We get lots of great tropical fruits here in Texas.  This is from a week or so ago. 
This is a bowl of fruit (fruit salad) that my sweet husband made for me recently.  I think it is so sweet that he cut the strawberries like little hearts - it may have been an accident...but I am going to believe he did it on purpose :)
 
I hope that you are having a good weekend and that a little something triggers a happy memory of someone you hold dear who is no longer a part of your day-to-day life.
Until tomorrow,
~ Joeby

1 comment:

  1. I love a good fruit salad. When I was in the Philippines, I ate mangoes every day and it was amazing. I wish we got good mangoes here (sometimes we get good Mexican ones if we're lucky).

    ReplyDelete