Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Tuesday - Day 21

Beautiful Red Pears

I found these beautiful pears at the grocery store this week.  I love red pears that are slightly crunchy. I fell in love with these red pears a few years ago and have been munching on them, when I find them, ever since!  A few years back, I broke my arm playing tennis...  I know that isn't usually considered a "dangerous" sport.  Especially if you aren't like a professional or anything.  But, I broke my left arm anyway...  I was taking lessons with some friends and we were playing early one morning.  It was a lovely October day.  I was partnered with another lady (I didn't know her) and we were playing doubles against my two friends.  Well, my partner and I were winning the little match.  We were all pretty bad players :)  I ran to the net to return a ball and slipped on a patch of moldy leaves and down I went.  I broke my left arm up near the shoulder joint.  It was a bad break and I ended up having surgery and now have a titanium rod inserted in my humerus.  It took forever to get over that injury!!  I still can't use my arm quite as well, but it is plenty good enough!!  While I was "laid-up", I lived on fruit.  My favorite was red pears, just like these.  My husband would cut them up for me - he was such a sweetheart and still is!!
 
When I found these lovely pears at the store this week, I started looking for a salad that needed pears.  I found one in an old Southern Living Annual Recipes book.  I completely changed the recipe, but it still turned out really well!!
 

Pear Salad with Lemon Poppy Seed Dressing


This is a very tasty and very quickly made salad!
And, in my cute new from-the-sale-room - Anthropologie Bowl :)
 
Pear Salad with Lemon Poppy Seed Dressing
Romaine lettuce
Gruyere Cheese, shaved - I use vegetable peeler (use Swiss cheese if you can't find Gruyere, or if it is too expensive)
Roasted salted cashews
Craisins
Pear, sliced
Lemon Poppy Seed Dressing
I did not list amounts, since you can make this as large as you want, or a single serving like I did.  Just pile on the ingredients, and pour on a little dressing, toss, and then enjoy!!
Dressing:
2/3 cup olive oil
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 tablespoon poppy seeds
1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
1/2 tsp. salt
Place all ingredients in a jar with a tight fitting lid and shake like crazy! 
If you only make one salad like I did, you will not use all of the dressing, but it keeps in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks.
 

Wildflowers In Our Yard

I love the wildflowers in our yard.  So thankful we got those free seeds and planted them last fall :)
I hope your week is going well so far!
Until tomorrow,
~ Joeby


No comments:

Post a Comment