Monday, May 12, 2014

Monday... Salad-a-Day #12

Salad-a-Day #12

 
Yesterday I had a trio of this week's salads for lunch.  Marinated Black-Eye Pea, Broccoli BowTie Pasta Salad, and Carrot and Raisin.  All have held up well.  I am really impressed with how good the carrot and raisin salad tasted after several days!!  I was expecting it to not be good after the first day.  The other two were really good, but I expected those to still be good since they were fresher.  And, since I have mango almost every single day, I added a chunk of mango to my lunch.
 

Citrus and Avocado Salad with Maple Vinaigrette

I found this citrus salad recipe over the weekend and thought it sounded pretty tasty. And, it is :)
It is tasty and light and just perfect for summer!  I love grapefruit and orange added to salads and add them to a tossed salad often.  I have been trying to add avocados to my diet since they are so good and fresh at the grocery right now - and they are really healthy!!
 Isn't this salad pretty?  I also love this bowl that I got in the sale room at Anthropologie last week :)
 The feta added a nice touch to the salad.  I added pumpkin seeds, but I could see walnuts or toasted pecans being really good with this, also.
 It was delicious!  My husband even liked it and he isn't that fond of grapefruit (without sugar poured on top :)
 
 
Citrus and Avocado Salad with Maple Vinaigrette
3 cups baby spinach (or arugula or mixed greens) - I used spinach because that is what I had on hand
2 oranges
2 grapefruits
1 avocado, diced
1/2 cup nuts (your choice)
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
Vinaigrette:
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon maple syrup (the real stuff)
salt and pepper to taste
Arrange spinach (or greens) on a pretty platter. 
I like to "peel" my citrus with a knife by slicing the peel away and the pith with it.  It is easy to do if you use a very sharp knife and cuts away the pithy part that sticks to the sections when you just peel and section - although that is fine to do if you want.  Place citrus around on the spinach.  Then sprinkle around the avocado, nuts and feta.
I mix the dressing by putting all ingredients in a small canning jar and then shaking it like crazy.  Pour on right after you have shaken it so that it goes on all mixed.
 

Around The Yard Yesterday


Yesterday I was enjoying my Mother's Day when this critter came along and nearly scared me to death!!  I think they can hear, because when I screamed, he went running one way and I went running another.  I have seen many lizards around our yard, but they are usually the little green/brown ones.  This was like 4 times as big.  I was freaked...  My husband likes these creepy crawly critters.  He said it was a "skink".  I'm just grateful he lives outside...

Fig Tree - has baby figs growing on it!!!
 
I hope you enjoy the Citrus salad - it is really yummy and healthy :)
I am going to go watch "Dancing With The Stars".  I love it!
Until tomorrow,
~Joeby


No comments:

Post a Comment