Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Autumn's Face

No Spring or Summer Beauty
Hath such grace,
As I've seen
in Autumns Face.
 
I have been really busy today and haven't had a chance to do more than sew a few stitches on the Halloween quilt I am making for myself.  I love to make quilts, and usually give them away, but I have decided to keep this one for myself!
I am very partial to the Log Cabin design.  Probably because I have longed to live in a log cabin since I was a little girl.  I used to dream of living in the woods and being a forest ranger and getting to live in a log cabin at a National Park!  I think I have outgrown the being a forest ranger part, but still wouldn't mind living in a log cabin.  Preferably a Pottery Barn Log Cabin :)

I love all things Halloween and collect fabric in
Halloween print.
I am hand quilting this one.  Not easy since I do not have a quilting frame, but I don't need for it to be perfect for me to love it.
 

Making Jelly

In late August I started walking on the pathways near our house.  It was SO hot, but I was determined to walk outside and not on the treadmill at our local YMCA (although I love that too).  I got up early while it was a little cooler and walked the 2 1/2 mile loop.  All along the pathways are wild grapes (Muscadines).  They grow up in the trees on vines (where I got the stems for the paper pumpkins that I blogged about a few days ago).  I could see where the grapes were falling from the vines and people were stepping on them on the concret pathway.  My husband LOVES Muscadine jelly, so it didn't take much effort to encourage him to help me pick some muscadines. 
 
I followed the directions on the Sure-Jell package for grape jelly, and this is what I got as a result!  Delicious, lovely colored, Muscadine Jelly.  It is very good on hot toast or rolls!
If you have never made jelly, I encourage you to give it a try.  It is super simple and the easiest thing to get you started preserving some of your own food.
 
I hope that your Tuesday has been a delightful day!
 
~Joeby
 


2 comments:

  1. Love the color...ooks delicious! And the quilt fabrics are darling!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job with your quilt! And, you know me, I've never made jelly but it's on my list of things to try when life slows down.

    ReplyDelete