Tuesday, October 1, 2013

October Gave a Party

October gave a party;
The leaves by hundreds came—
The Chestnuts, Oaks, and Maples,
And leaves of every name.
The Sunshine spread a carpet,
And everything was grand,
Miss Weather led the dancing,
Professor Wind the band.
 ~ by George Cooper
 
This is a part of one of my favorite fall poems!  The rest is just as fabulous - you should google it!  It may become a favorite of yours, also.
I can't believe it has been so long since I have posted to my blog.  Life has gotten in the way...
 

North to Alaska!

One of the best parts of the past few months, is my sweet husband and I went on an Alaskan Cruise! Alaska was our 50th state together!!  So cool to have visited all 50 together. It was a fabulous trip!  We sailed out of Vancouver, Canada.  So lovely...  After the cruise we drove from Vancouver north to Whistler. I think it was my favorite of the whole trip.  We need to go back when we have more time.  We were really tired of the plentiful cruise after a week, and while exploring Whistler, we found this fabulous bakery in the Olympic Village - Pure Bread.  We got a fabulous savory pastry (chicken, broccoli and goodness), and I got the best cookie I have ever had - carrot cake whoopie pie!!  I wish I had taken a picture of it, instead we enjoyed the beautiful weather, did a little people watching, and devoured our lunch!

 
Our first port on the cruise was Skagway, Alaska.  The shore exursion we purchased was a glacier lake kayak trip!  Of the entire Disney Cruise ship, only 6 of us were brave enough to participate.  Al (sweet husband) and I were the oldest ones... I can't believe how fun it was!  Especially after I got over the initial fear of falling in that freezing water.  I had actually never kayaked....we have canoed before, but this is different.  My arms were killing me that night, but it was worth it :)  Glacier water is an incredible blue color.  Such a great experience.
I will post more of the cruise later this month.  It was really beautiful.
 

Fall gardening!

It has been a very long hot summer here in South Texas...  However, my garden is continuing to produce a little.  I have eggplant, okra, onions, and lots of peppers.  I have pumpkin planted (not making many and who knows when they will be ready).  I also have sweet potatoes taking over our subdivision.  Those things really spread!!  I just hope all those vines are actually making some sweet potatoes.  We shall see...
 
 
Pretty much everything green past the 2nd bed is sweet potatoes gone crazy!  They are extra delicious when you grow them yourself :)
 

Halloween / Fall Decorating!!

I have barely managed to wait until the first of October to put our my Halloween / Fall decorations.  I love it! 
 
 
Part of my pumpkin collection on the dining room table.  The fun of mixing Halloween and Fall, is that you can remove the Halloween parts and leave the Fall - then add a few turkeys for Thanksgiving.  Autumn is my very favorite time of year!
 
 
 
All the orange, all the textures; I love it!!  The sweet little Scherenschnitte (German paper cutting) picture of the jack-o-lanterns in the center is tiny, and one of my favorite decorations!  I purchased on a trip to the East in 2005 (I'm thinking Salem, Mass, or the vacinity). 
 
I am going to attemp to create a blog post each day in October!  I think it will give me something to look forward to doing, and get me busy gardening, cooking, and crafting.  October is a fabulous transition month and worth celebrating :)
 
I hope that everyone is happy and healthy and looking forward to a beautiful October.
~ Joeby

1 comment:

  1. How fun that you and Dad got to visit all 50 states together! Now that you've done all 50 states, where will your next vacation sites be? (Of course, I'm holding out for you all coming to see us sometime!) :) The photos of AK are just beautiful. I hope we can make it up there sometime.

    You garden looks amazing as usual! And I love all your fall decorations. I have just a few fall decorations and we need to put them out this week. Loved hearing about your trip and what you've been up to!

    ReplyDelete