Friday, October 4, 2013

October Blogging Day 4

O let us cast dull care away,
Again be children for a day.
Witches Goblins have their sway,
Tis Halloween, lets joke and play!

I can't believe all of the ideas I am having as I brainstorm posting a blog each day during October!  I have a little notebook with me all the time to write down the ideas!  I doubt I have the time to make them all.  Plus, I am only using things from around the house.  I am not going to purchase one new thing to make my crafts.  I may need to buy some items if I post a recipe or if I get around to planting some fall plants in my garden.  I have so many things that have been started and not complete and this is my excuse to get busy.  I'm sure we all do, or at least I hope I am not the only one who struggles with completing a project :)

Halloween Decorations Continued

I have tons of Halloween decorations.  I try to add to my collection each year and always enjoy unpacking the decorations.  It is fun to see the old items (like old friends), and then find the "new" items from the previous year.  Simple pleasures.
I got this cute Owl in Seattle a few weeks ago when my husband and I went on an Alaskan cruise.  We spent the night in Seattle and took a train up to Vancouver for the cruise.  We were walking around down town and I saw this cute guy in a shop window.  The shop was closed since it was later in the evening.  On our way home, we made it to the shop so I could buy him.  I am crazy about owls right now, and really "needed" him for my Halloween decorations :) 
Isn't he handsome?
Last year I made these little owls and pumpkins.  I spent way too much time creating the pattern off an owl I had seen in an expensive store....not to mention spending way too much money on pieces of upholstery fabric.  I have given most of my little owls away...but didn't make any this year.  Maybe next year. 
 

Halloween Crafting

I saw a cute paper pumpkin on Pinterest last year.  It was so cute!  The instructions were terrible, but I managed to figure out how to make it.  It looked exactally like the picture on Pitnerest, but I thought I could improve upon it.  I like my verson much better :)  I ended up creating kits for my card club and we made them last year during one of our monthly get-togethers.  I made this pumpkin yesterday and took pictures to show you how to make your own.  I think they would be cute as place card holders on a Thanksgiving table.
This is the finished project.  It is SO easy to make!
The supplies needed.
1 - 1 x 12 inch piece of card stock
2 - 1 1/4 x 12 inch piece of card stock
3 - 1 1/2 x 12 inch piece of card stock
(I got my card stock at Michaels and it has little bumps on one side)
Score each piece every 1/2 inch.  This is easier to do before you cut each piece. 
(So start with a piece of card stock that is 8 x 12 inch and score that before you take the
1, 1 1/4, and 1 1/2 inch slices).
Fold each piece at the score marks to make the accordian pieces shown above.
Next, tape each slice of paper, at the ends, so that it makes a circle. I use double sided tape.
Flatten each cirlce to  make a "rosette" like above.  I put a 1 inch circle (that I punched with a circle punch) to reinforce and use hot glue to hold in place.  Next stack each circle to make a pumpkin! 
Bottom - 1 /1/4
Then the 3 - 1 1/2 circles for the middle
1 1/4 inch on top of that
Very top is the 1 inch rosette.
I also found a little stick in the yard for a stem, and cut some leaves out with a leaf punch.  And, a little green ribbon and raffia.
Patterned Halloween paper is really cute, too.
 
Happy October 4th everyone!
Where ever you are, I hope you find time for a something that makes you happy!
~ Joeby
 

3 comments:

  1. What a fun blog! Love your gardens and crafts! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love reading your blog! You inspire me to create. Fall is my favorite time of year. I wish I could find a place where it was perpetual fall... Wouldn't that be great? Keep up those great posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your decorations! Wish you could come decorate my house! lol

    ReplyDelete