Saturday, October 12, 2013

Nearer than anywhere else on earth..

The kiss of the sun for pardon,
the song of the birds for mirth,
one is nearer God's heart
in a garden
than anywhere else on earth.
 

Good Intentions

My husband and I got up pretty early, well early for Saturday, and went to my favorite nursery to look for plants.  I love to plant cabbages, broccoli, and the like in my fall garden. 
 
On the way to the nursery, my sweet husband took me to Trader Joe's to get some sliced mango for my breakfast.  I had been craving it since yesterday!  It was SO good!!  I love mango.  I just "happened" to see these pumpkin treats by the check-out and they managed to come home with us!

When we got home
we unloaded my treasures. 
I was all set to start pulling out all the spent plants,
and it started pouring raining.  And is still raining 4 hours later. 
Slow Gardening applies to today :)  My intentions were good, but
football on tv and playing on Pinerest won the day.

I planted some "pie" pumpkin seeds back in July in hopes that the little pumpkins
would be ready for Halloween.  Well, the plants just sat there and barely grew after coming up.
It is SO hot here in July and August, and I think they were just hanging on.  With the "very" slightly cooler weather we have had in September and October, the pumpkins are growing like crazy!!  Above is a pumpkin about the size of a softball.  These pumpkins aren't supposed to get very big.  They are the kind that are supposed to make one pie with each pumpkin.  We shall see...

I got some bedding flowers for our courtyard.  I wanted some Pansies and Dusty Millers to plant out front with Snapdragons, and ornamental cabbage.  I found some but not all.  I will make a run out again on Monday for the rest and then get to work making the courtyard beautiful for fall and winter.

I found this fabulous pumpkin at the nursery.  I love him!  He was only $10.  He is made out of metal and you can put a light inside.  He lives in the courtyard now.
 
Here's hoping that your weekend is delightful!
~ Joeby

1 comment:

  1. What a cute pumpkin!! And you know I'm a big fan of mango...it was a weekly staple when I was in the Philippines.

    ReplyDelete