Wednesday, October 16, 2013

You Must Keep Moving

Life is like riding a bicycle
in order to keep your balance
you must keep moving!
 
 
Another busy day in a busy week.  The best part of today, is the cloudy day.  I LOVE cloudy rainy days.  Nothing is better, to me, than being cozy in my house.  It was a little bit cooler today,
 so that made it even better!
To celebrate the cooler weather today, I made soup and cornbread for dinner.  It was delicious!
 

Lentil Soup & Cornbread


Lentil Soup Ingredients (plus you need some thyme - fresh or dried).
 Cornbread ingredients.
Finished Cornbread - it was extra yummy tonight :)
This is my cornbread snack while waiting on my husband to get home from work for dinner.
It was very delicious with a little butter!!

Dinner - Lentil Soup & Cornbread

 
Lentil Soup
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 celery, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
salt and pepper to taste
1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 lb. lentils
10 cups chicken broth (I use Knorr cubes and water)
4-6 springs thyme (or a tsp. dried)
2/3 c. elbow macaroni
shredded parmesan cheese (for garnishing)
 
Heat oil in dutch oven - saute carrots, onions, celery, garlic, salt & pepper until tender (5-8 minutes). Add tomaotes, and cook until tender and starts to break down (8 minutes). Add lentils, mix to coat.  Add broth & stir. Add thyme, bring to boil over high heat.  Cover & simmer over low heat until lentils are almost tender.  30 minutes.  Stir in pasta & cook about 8 minutes.  Ladel & sprinkle with parm cheese to serve.
 
Cornbread
Preheat oven to 425 degrees - you want it nice and hot before you put in the pan.
 
2 cups cornmeal mix (I use white, but you can use yellow)
1 egg (if using an extra large egg, otherwise use 2)
1 1/2 - 2 cups buttermilk
1 tsp. sugar
2 Tablespoons solid vegetable shortening - heated
 
Mix all ingredients except shortening until well blended.  It depends on how humid the day is or how the cornmeal absorbes the buttermilk as to how much you need. It needs to not be thick and easily stirred and easy to pour. 
Heat 2 T. of shortening in an 8-inch cast iron skillet (you could use a round or square cake pan).  I heat mine on top of stove until the shortening melts.  Pour hot oil into batter and mix well.  Then pour batter in the hot skillet. 
Put skillet in oven and cook for about 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
 
I hope that the month of October has been pleasant for you so far.   I have had a fun time trying to blog each day in October!
Until tomorrow!
~ Joeby

2 comments:

  1. I'm enjoying reading your blog every day too:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm. I'll have to try your cornbread recipe. We've been eating soup all week - it's getting to be perfect soup weather around here too and I just love it. I'll send you a few of my favorite healthy soup recipes in case you ever want to try them out. One of them is lentil and one is black bean - both of which I know you have DELICIOUS recipes for but one of them is a cabbage soup full of veggies that is just fabulous.

    ReplyDelete