Tuesday, October 15, 2013

October 15

A friend is one who
overlooks your
broken fence and
admires the flowers
in your garden!
 
Oh my goodness..  I am SO tired!!!  I went to a meeting this morning.  Then ran to Home Depot to look at their flowers and plants.  Then I came and dug in the garden (literally) for hours!!!  I am going to be very sore tomorrow...  Luckily, my sweet husband took us out to eat Mexican food, so now I am very, very full and very tired :)

Pretty flowers that my husband brought home to me. 
He is the most thoughtful person I know.

This is the "before" of my gardening. 
I will post an "after" tomorrow.

Sweet Potatoes harvest from today. And, 2 little sugar baby melons.  Sweet potatoes taste better if you wait for about a week before eating.  That allows the skin to cure and lets the sugars distribute through the potato.  If it weren't so hot and humid here (not to mention the squirrels...), I would let them cure outside.  Last year I baked a sweet potato the day I dug them, and it was good, but much better the next week, so I will wait this year.  Gardening is all about doing and learning.


Early this spring, I found a couple of peanut plants.  They did not do well, but I thought the peanuts were cool and wanted to show a picture.
 
I find growing a little of our food very satisfying.  It is fun to plant your troubles in the garden, and then watch them grow into veggies and flowers.  I would love to have a real farm one day where we could grow most of our food organically.
 
I hope that your day has been a good one.  I am achy in a happy way that reminds me of working hard on our family farm while growing up in Arkansas.  Hard work is good for you!
 
Until tomorrow :)
~ Joeby
 

1 comment: