Sunday, October 27, 2013

Lazy, Happy Sunday

A Sunday well-spent
Brings a week
Of content.
 
We started our Sunday off by going to Church.
I love to go to Church with my husband. 
I think it makes us happier
and helps us draw closer as a couple
to attend church together.  I love it!
 

Divine Brittle

 
I have been making brittle for at least
the last 15 years.
It started in the fall one year when I found a Martha Stewart recipe that sounded good.
I was in college at the time, and "quickly" made a batch before going to college that day.
I can still remember being shocked that I had to stand and stir so long :)
I was nearly late for class - I really hate being late....
Brittle can't be hurried - you have to wait until it reaches the temperatures in the recipe.  You can't vary that one little bit, or it will not work!!  My advice is to follow the recipe exactly!!
I also remember it being near Halloween.  So, as a tradition, I make brittle every year near Halloween.  I have tried to put my own spin on the recipe, by using different nuts, and flavorings.
For instance, I use salted peanuts instead of the plain ones listed in the original recipe. Or, I have used pecans, and cashews.  I almost always add about 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt (if the nuts weren't salted), because I prefer a salty/sweet to just sweet things.  Once you are comfortable making the recipe, you should experiment with little changes yourself :)
 
This is the sugar, corn syrup and water coming to the thread stage (230 degrees).

Peanut brittle coming to the hard crack stage (300 degrees).

Pecans - my favorite.  It smells divine when the nuts roast in all of that boiling sugar!! 
We had pecan trees on our farm
in Arkansas that my daddy
planted when he was a young man.  Even though my dad is legally blind (almost totally blind now), he is still the best pecan sheller!!!  His farmer's hands are huge, but he is still the best.  And, a great pea sheller too :)

You have to work really quickly, and be very careful!  Nothing is hotter or will burn you quicker than boiling hot sugar!!  It sticks when you spill it on yourself and just sits there and cooks your skin.  I know from personal experience... Be careful, and have your work areas clear.  Above is the peanut brittle spread out thinly, in a well oiled pan, to cool. (I use Pam to spray the pan with - just coat it well).

Here are the pecan (darker) and the peanut brittle piled up to break into pieces.

I put this yummy brittle in a cute pumpkin dish to show the size I break the pieces into.  I ate way too much while breaking apart, and now I have a sweet headache!!  I will bag it tomorrow for our Church Trunk-or-Treat party on Tuesday evening.  It is so fun.  You take candy to hand out to the kids and decorate the trunk of your car and sit there and hand it out (much safer than going door-to-door).  We are having a chili and hot dog dinner before this year, too.  I am making a pot of chili.  I will try to take pictures and post that recipe, on Wednesday.
 
Martha Stewart's Peanut Brittle (with a Joeby Twist)
 
3 cups sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
4 ½ cups salted peanuts (or pecans, or cashews)
4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp. baking soda
(if using unsalted pecans or cashews then add 1/4 teaspoon sea salt and add when you add the nuts)
 
Coat two 12x17 inch-baking pans with low sides with vegetable-oil spray.
In a heavy 5-quart saucepan with a tight-fitting lid, combine sugar, corn syrup, and ½ cup water.  Cover the pot, and bring the mixture to a boil over high heat, about 5 minutes.  Swirl the pot often over the burner to dissolve the sugar.  Keeping the lid on will prevent sugar crystals from forming inside the pot; however, should crystals form, wash down the sides with a wet pastry brush.
Once steam begins to rise around the lid, remove it and reduce heat to medium.  Insert candy thermometer, and continue to boil until temperature reaches 230º (thread stage), about 1 minute.
Add the peanuts, and stir constantly with a metal spoon until the mixture reaches 300º (hard-crack stage), about 13 to 18 minutes.  At this point, the mixture should be a rich, golden brown.
Immediately remove from heat, and quickly add butter, vanilla, and baking soda.  Stir with a metal spoon until butter melts; mixture will become foamy.  Pour half of mixture down center of each pan; spread it evenly with a spatula.  Allow to cool for at least 1 hour. Then break into pieces.
 
I hope that your Sunday has been a peaceful one!
We started the morning off with a storm here in the North Houston area. 
We saw lots of limbs down on our way to Church this morning, and our neighbor had 2 skinny pine trees come down in their yard.  I'm so grateful that we didn't have any damage at our house.
 
Until tomorrow :)
~ Joeby

 
 

1 comment:

  1. Looks great, Joeby! I've never tried making peanut brittle. I've done fudge and toffee and I think that's about it outside of normal cookies, brownies and cakes.

    ReplyDelete