Thursday, October 24, 2013

Friday Eve

Happy Friday Eve in the Evening!
I can't seem to work on these posts
before late in the day!
I can't believe how much fun I have had doing a
post-a-day in October!
 

Basil in the Garden


Isn't this basil georgeous!!  I can't believe how well basil grows here in the North Houston area.  I promise that I do not take it for granted and that I share with others.  It grows this well from seed here and lasts until it frosts.  I can even chop it back and protect it on the very rare occasion that it frosts here.  I have a bunch growing everywhere and plan to make some pesto in the very near future.
 

Flea Market Finds

 
Confession - I LOVE indoor flea markets.  The kind with little booths set up with everything you can think of in an big-old grocery store.  I can look for hours without tiring of it.  I love seeing things that I remember in my family home in Arkansas from the 70's.  I love seeing my mama's dishes...  Funky things we had on the wall.  Old toys.. Good old books like Nancy Drew, or my VERY favorite Janet Lambert.  Have you ever heard of her?  Well, you owe it to yourself to look her up and see.  Her books are still my favorites...  I got to be a "Librarian" in the library at our school - Humnoke High School.  I was a library worker from 8th - 11th grade.  We weren't that busy most of the time, so I would go to the back room and read the books that had been neglected for years.   
 
A few years ago (probably like 10 years ago), my sibilings and our families decided to do "yard-sale" or "flea-market" gifts as a fun gift exchange.  You weren't supposed to spend more than $5 and you had to buy for the person's name you drew from the previous Christmas.  My Kentucky sister was responsible for keeping track of who had who.  We all knew that she would remember...and actually keep the little names on the tiny pieces of paper.  She does a fantastic job :)

These are my finds from this past week.  Candy dish, old Avon perfume bottle shaped like a carriage (my mom sold Avon), post cards, a fabulous old peanut butter jar with an elephant on it, cast iron sheep bank (I collect sheep), a cute pink dish, 2 old cook books (one for turkey, and the other for sour cream), a pretty china bowl, and in the center - turkey salt and pepper shakes (I collect them, too).

Cute Tom turkey and mama turkey salt and pepper shakers.  This picture shows them in their new home.  They are surrounded by other turkey friends.  I will show more pictures of them in November.  I decorate with them for Thanksgiving (can't wait!!).

Vintage post cards.  I have some plans for these, other than just looking and trying to read the messages on the back.  I love the messages!!!  It makes me want to do better sending letters to people.  Don't you just love to get a letter in the mail?  Or a post card?  I mailed a few post cards to people who's addresses I had memorized when my husband and I were in Alaksa.  I intended to mail one to myself, but I forgot.  I love to do that - mail a post card to myself.  You should try it, so cool to be home and then get a card from your vacation - a cute card that you are sure to love since you picked it out yourself !
 
I hope that your Friday Eve is going well.  It is 8pm here at my house and I am about to retire for the day with some hot water (totally addicted to hot water at bed time) and try to read for a little while (and not just fall asleep).  I also need to watch a little of the World Series.  I am a life-time St. Louis Cardinal fan.
Until tomorrow!
~ Joeby

1 comment:

  1. You got such cute stuff at the flea market and I know you'll know just what to do with it! I never buy stuff like that because I'm not sure what I would ever do with it!

    ReplyDelete