Thursday, October 17, 2013

Love What You Grow

Love what you grow and
what you love will grow!
 

Cleaning Up The Garden

I haven't worked in the garden in a long time and it showed!  I felt bad because my sweet potato vines had grown through the fence into our neighbors yard. 
Digging in the beds for the sweet potatoes was really fun, and they did very well this year.

I had a hard decision to make about taking out these tomatoes.  There were only 2 little green cherry tomatoes and no blooms... So, I decided to tear them out and plant fall veggies instead.

These are the beds after the 1st 3 were cleared of sweet potatoes, and tomatoes.  In the 1st bed, there are 3 eggplants that were being choked out by the sweet potato vines.  One little eggplant was there, and several blooms.  I think they have a chance of making something having the vines out of the way so the plants can get some sun - so they made the cut :)
 
Looking the other direction.  In the closest bed is pumpkin vines.  The 2nd bed has okra, and some tomatoes that were planted in July.  They may or may not make anything...  But the okra is still producing, and there are several little pie pumpkins growing.
 
This is a big bed out in the back yard.  (The other planter beds are in the side yard).
This big bed was originally built so I could plant flowers.  I decided that having vegetables growing was more important to me.  The rest of the yard is all pretty with flowers, trees, grass, etc.
Our little dog loves to get in the bed and eat the cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower, so the fencing is necessary.  I still need to get a few more white fence pieces.
 

Sweet Potatoes

Sweet potatoes from my garden!  I am so excited that the potatoes did so well this year.  I'm afraid with my leg-swelling troubles, I have not given my garden the attention that I usually do.  But, it didn't seem to make that much difference :)

This potato weights 1 1/2 pounds!!  I can't wait to eat it.
 

More Fall Decorations


I saw this fabulous squash at Trader Joes a few days ago and couldn't resist it, or the little orange Pumpkin on top.  I love the colors!
 
If you live in the Houston area, Fall is a fabulous season for planting in your garden!  Plant something.  It is good for you, I promise!
Until tomorrow,
~ Joeby

1 comment:

  1. I know I've said this before but your garden is amazing!

    ReplyDelete