Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Halloween Chili

We have homemade chili each and every Halloween!
I made it today, because I will be busy tomorrow, and
because it tastes better the next day.
 

Joeby's Chili


I use half ground chuck, and half ground sirloin.

Brown hamburger with onion.

Fabulous to let it simmer for a long time!  Smells delicious, and gets richer and even more yummy.

Chili and crackers!
 
As I have mentioned before on my blog, I grew up in Arkansas.  I remember going to the World Championship Duck Calling Contest festival when I was pretty young - like maybe 12...  Anyway, Stuttgart, Arkansas, where the festival is held each year, also happens to be the rice capital of the world.  My daddy raised rice on our family farm.  Because we farmed rice, we tried to cook with it often.  The duck calling contest is where I first had chili and rice.  It is very delicious!  I usually cook rice and then serve the chili over the rice.  You will be helping rice farmers if you eat it this way :)
Today, however, I did not make any rice.  I actually made 2 batches of chili.  One for our church trunk-or-treat, and one for us to have for Halloween!  I will probably also have hot dogs on Halloween for who ever wants a chili dog.
 

Joeby’s Chili
4 pounds hamburger (I used ½ ground chuck, ½ ground sirloin)
1 large onion diced (use 2 if onions are medium sized)
2 – 28 oz. cans diced tomatoes
1 – 8oz. can tomato sauce
1 – 16 oz. can kidney beans (if desired)
2 tablespoons chili powder (can use more or less according to taste)
1 – 2 teaspoons salt (to taste)
1 – 2 teaspoons ground pepper (to taste)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 – 2 tablespoons ground cumin
½ teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon brown sugar

Brown hamburger with the onion.  Drain off all grease.
Add all remaining ingredients and cook so that all the flavors can be happy together.  About 1 hour on simmer.
 
Don't forget to try it over rice - yum-ness!!

 
I hope that your Halloween tomorrow is fabulous.  Especially if you have littles who make it much more fun!  I am going to be attending the Houston Quilt Festival with 3 of my good friends tomorrow on Halloween, and I am so excited!  I will try to post some pictures tomorrow of the festival :)
Until tomorrow,
~ Joeby

1 comment:

  1. I missed this post! That chili looks amazing! I just made a crockpot of chili last night - our church meets at 2:30 and it's awful to not have something ready for dinner when we get home, especially on fast Sunday! Eating chili in the fall is just perfect in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete