Monday, October 7, 2013

October 7

October's the month when the smallest breeze,
Gives us a shower of Autmn leaves.
Bonfires and pumpkins,
Leaves sailing down,
October is red, and golden, and brown.
 
I was hoping to have time to work in my garden a little today, but didn't manage to get anything done.  I did take a few pictures.
The jalapenos are doing well this year.  My husband loves to stuff them with cheese and cook them on the grill.  Some are pretty hot, and others are relatively mild.  Last year I planted 4 plants and they produced like crazy!  We had peppers (various kinds) until almost January of this year due to the mild winters in the North Houston area.  The sweet little squirels love my bell peppers and eat them as soon as they big enough to pick...
I made sweet pickled jalapenos last year. The jars turned out really pretty. 
I use them in cornbread - very tasty. 
My sweet potatoes have beautiful flowers blooming all over them!  The bees are very happy. 
The basil is growing like crazy, also.  It is about 4 feet tall!  I have 3 plants this big.  Basil loves growing here.  And, the bees are enjoying the flowers at the tips. 
I have plans for pesto in the near future.
 

The Crafting Continues

I still have a few Halloween / Fall items I am hoping to make before it gets too close to Halloween. 
I started this cute Spooky banner at my card club meeting in September.  I had a little time
 yesterday to finish putting it together. 
I think it turned out pretty cute!
 

Halloween Decorations

We got this little black cat about 8 years ago.  I love her!  She eats expensive lightbulbs....but I am not going to hold that against her.  I am willing to get one a year....
 
I hope wherever you are, and whatever your circumstances, that you find a little time to realize the joy of growing a little something that you eat.  Herbs are a fabulous start!  Also, a little crafting is good for the spirits :)
 
~ Joeby 

2 comments:

  1. I so need to start a garden next year! Love the photos of your garden and someday, I've got to learn how to can! Maybe I'll do that after I start my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your SPOOKY banner turned out great!

    ReplyDelete